Thursday, September 20, 2012

La Dolce Vita // Living the sweet life.

jmj

"The sweet life," as Italians call it, is quite an adjustment for this American girl. Please bare with my while I state the obvious: Life in Italy is so different from life in the States! Ok, thanks...

This semester has already taught me to appreciate different customs and cultures. I still have so much more appreciating to do.

I am loving learning Italian. Yesterday in class we reviewed everything we had learned in 10 days and it is quite impressive. I can introduce myself, ask where you are from, and order a coffee or beer in a restaurant! Haha ok maybe not that impressive, but still exciting. I have 2 whole months to improve.

Practicing Italian in real life is nerve-racking. Pronouncing the words correctly is where the big struggle is.It is always humbling when you think you are asking for a hamburger and a fry and they give you three hamburgers and no fries. Not fun. But I just need to get over my embarrassment and pride and dive into the language. Whether or not my verb tenses are right, I will improve just by practicing!

Life in Italy happens at a different pace than life at home. At home (or school) when I have free time I always have something I need to be doing. "Be productive!" is my mentality. Here it doesn't seem to fit. When I have free time all I want to do is sit outside and enjoy the fresh air. I don't want to be doing anything. Something in the atmosphere evokes the desire to just "be." Be in the fresh air, be with people, be yourself. I think this is a good lesson for me to learn.

I have decided that I want to spend a lot of my travel time this semester in Italy. You will notice this as you see pictures being posted from my weekend trips. The main reason for this is because I realized in Rome that I have this amazing opportunity to really dive into a culture and a way of life that is unfamiliar to me. If I was to be traveling to different countries every weekend I would not fully be able to appreciate Italian culture.

As my dad so wonderfully put it, "If you travel to all of the cities and countries you are talking about you will be a tourist and will not have the kind of penetrating experience that will stay with you long after you leave." I know this is not true for everyone who travels abroad, but I have felt it on my heart that this is the kind of experience that I will learn the most from. Thanks Dad for putting into words what I was feeling!

I am excited to dive into "la dolce vita" and all that it has to offer. What I really want to do is to spend time with Italians and try speaking with them. Pray I can meet some nice Italians that have patience for choppy Italian =]

As always, God bless and continue loving and living boldly! 

Michela
So apparently they collect license plates from the US too... This one made me feel at home.

View from Piazzele Michelangelo. It took my breath away! Partly because the intense walk up the hill, but still it was amazing! 

It's amazing that chalk and black pavement can be used to produce such vibrant colors! Didn't see the finished product, but already the street is looking better!

p.s. La dolce vita could come from the fact that they eat chocolate and sweets here like it's their job. This custom is not so hard to adapt to. =]


2 comments:

  1. Michela,
    I love reading about your Italian adventures. It truly is an amazing country with endless sights, beauty, and delicious food. Your photos bring back so many great memories of living the sweet life. Keep enjoying it!!!
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JJ! It has been an amazing experience! Your advice this summer has helped me to jump right into traveling (aka intensified living). I'm becoming a public transportation pro! =] Are you planning any trips soon?

      Delete