Saturday, July 14, 2012

Make it a Date! (lil sibs edition)

Lately, I have seen so many cute Date ideas for couples posted on Pinterest and different blog sites. Being single myself, my first thought is wishing for a special someone to go do all these fun/romantic things with. Even though that is not in God's plan at the moment, that doesn't mean I can't go on a date! That's where the lil sibs come in...

One thing that I have noticed as I have gotten older is that spending time with my younger siblings (8 in all) is not as easy as when I was 7, 8, 9, 10 or even 12. Life gets busier and sometimes I think "grown-up things" are more important (they really aren't, I just think that sometimes). 

So, this summer I am trying harder to spend one-on-one time with each of my siblings. I have added it to my 101 things in 1001 days and  my goal is to have one "sibling date" with each lil sib this summer. That's going to be kinda hard since Matthew has already left for WestPoint Basic Training, but I will make it up to him by the quantity of letters he will receive from me.

Let the fun begin!

Sibling Date #1: Julianna + Michela 


Julianna and I had a rather spontaneous sibling date. We were goinging to go golf on the putting green with some friends but it didn't work out. We had already gotten all dressed in our sporty, golf-gear, and I was not about to let my outfit change go to waste. So instead we took our dad's gold clubs, and took pictures in our front yard of us "golfing" (Note: No golf balls were actually hit during this adventure due to the close proximity of cars, people, and houses).



Then, since Julianna got her permit earlier that day, I took her driving for the first time! I drove to the church parking lot (classic first lesson spot) and then handed the wheel over to her. I have to admit I was kinda nervous. As my heart rate was increasing my thoughts increased as well, "This is what my mom and dad went through with me," "I understand why dad always seemed so stressed when I was driving," "I can't believe I have been driving for 7 years now!" "I can't believe my dad took me on the freeway the first time I went driving!!!" "Why did we take the nicest car we own?" "I've never been in an accident before...." Needless to say, we survived! And had fun on our first sibling date/driving lesson!

Good work, Julianna! I'm so proud of you!
-jmj

No comments:

Post a Comment