Saturday, July 7, 2012

Me? Rich? Nah...

Lately I have been reflecting on how blessed I am. I have everything I could possibly want and need and so much more. But today I was struck by how rich I really am. 

I have never thought of me or my family as rich, but when I came upon extreme poverty this weekend I realized how rich I actually am. Not rich in the sense of an abundance of money and material items (although this also may be true compared to much of the world) but rich in blessings, knowledge, faith, love.

I was only able to recognize this because of my encounters with women who are not so fortunate as I. This summer I have been volunteering at a home for women who are pregnant and homeless. From our conversations I realize most of them never had good relationships with their parents, were never taught their bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit,  they have dignity and deserve respect, saving yourself for your husband is beautiful and what God asks of us, and they are loved and cherished by their Heavenly Father. Most of these women have been abused, cheated on by their boyfriends, or lived in violent and broken homes. Real poverty of spirit. 

 All of this makes me think, "God why me? Why did You choose to give me so many blessings?" Parents who love each other and show their love to me in visible ways, wonderful siblings to laugh with, an education, faith, moral upbringing. I never did anything to gain any of this, but He chose to give them all to me. 

For some reason He gave them all to me and I have no right to question it. The only question I have to ask now is "What do you want me to do with all of these treasures?" How can I share my wealth with every man and women that I meet? 

God give me the grace to share the abundance of wealth that you have bestowed upon me with everyone I meet.


Luke 12:34 - "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be."


No comments:

Post a Comment