Monday, July 30, 2012

Thank God for Detachment!

-jmj

I can't believe it is the the eve of the last day of July already! Time has just flown by this summer. The summer has been loaded with lots of fun with family and friends, lots of swimming and running, laughter and love, joys and struggles (just to name a few). I feel so blessed. 

I have felt God really stretch me this summer in more ways than I can name. Really, the hardest part is naming how God has worked in my life. But today I had an "Ah-ha!" moment when I realized one BIG thing God has been working on with me: DETACHMENT

chillin with St. Ignatius
You know when things happen in your life and you don't understand why? Yeah, I'm sure you do. It's a pretty common occurrence. Well a lot of that has happened this summer, but for all of it (the good and bad) I'm so grateful, because it has taught me detachment.

God has put that big word (detachment) on my heart for these 2 and half months now. Thanks to St. Ignatius's Spiritual Exercises it has been a familiar concept in my daily prayer. (Side note: Anyone wanting a spiritual kick in the pants, do "The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius." They are pretty hardcore. Just Do It!) 

Also, ironically, sometimes Twitter helps me out with little reminders of detachment. Example: Yesterday C.S. Lewis(CSLewisU) Tweeted, "Do not let your happiness depend on something you may lose, only upon the Beloved who will never pass away." Preach it brother!

Tweet it Brother!
So today, and for the rest of my life, I want to be detached, Lord. Detached from everything that is of this world. Detached from all that is fleeting. Detached from my desires and from my dreams. Yes, all of these things are good because they are from you, but they are not my everything. Lord, help me to attach myself to you, attach myself to your eternal love, and your promise of salvation. Let my attachments be pure and from you alone. Thanks God. I'm going to need a lot of help.

My prayer for anyone reading this (Yay! Thanks for reading this!) is that you would hear God calling you to detach from anything that is holding you back from loving Him with your whole heart, body, mind and soul. Let's attach ourselves to God and never let go! He will never let go of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment